Monday, February 27, 2012

Best Biscuits EVA

I know a few who will disagree with me here (Lisa, Mom, I know you have your favorites) but these are, at least currently, my favorite.  I think what I like best about them is that they are drop biscuits - no rolling and cutting, no messy counter to clean up!


Best Drop Biscuits
(From America's Test Kitchen)
Makes 12 biscuits

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup buttermilk (cold) (if you don't have buttermilk, make your own clabbered milk by mixing 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice - let stand 10 minutes.  p.s. Don't try lime juice, trust me)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (about 5 minutes) (I always use salted butter because I never have anything else)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Combine buttermilk and melted butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter forms small clumps.


Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from side of bowl.



Using greased 1/4 cup measure, scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment lined baking sheet, spacing about 1.5 inches apart.




(Sometimes you kind of have bang the 1/4 cup measure against the sheet to get the biscuit to plop out.)

Bake until tops are crisp and golden, about 12-14 minutes.

If you want the bottoms to stay crispy, transfer right away to a cooling rack.  The recipe also says to brush the tops with additional melted butter (2 tablespoons) but I never do that.  This recipe also works with whole wheat flour but...when I eat these biscuits I'm not exactly thinking about my health.  Ahem.


Yuuuuuuum.  So good.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good biscuits iz good biscuits! :)
So, yes, I dooo have a favorite recipe, but you entice me with your promises of "no rolling out and cutting out dough," and "no messy counter"!! I do adore easy.

I think I'll give these a whirl.
And I do wish I'd had occasion to make my biscuits for you...I remember you tried them and they didn't fully win you over, so maybe there's something I do that's not in the recipe; I remember they weren't as good as my Mom's the first 2 or 3 times I made them, and then something clicked and I have been in love ever since. Oh well...as long as we all have a biscuit recipe that makes us giddy, what's the diff? :)